Sunday, February 20, 2011

First Snow Shoe Trip




Seven years or so ago, I strapped on my first pair of snow shoes and I was bitten by the bug! It was a long time between then and this February 12th when I finally was able to go on my first snow shoe trip with the Silver Striders, a group that consists of people who are over 50. It was Christmas of 2009 when Kevin presented me with a lovely light, aluminum pair accompanied with Eddie Bauer poles that have all kinds of bells and whistles.
I joined the Silver Striders for an 'easy' hike that would take us on a 3 mile round trip with very little climb. Ha ha. By the time one is hauling ones' tired and exhausted butt uphill at the end, ANY incline is rough. Still, it was exhilirating just to be outside in nature enjoying the fresh air, birds flitting and following us along the trail. Every now and then our guide would stop and announce, "Drink water!" and the six of us would fumble in our fanny packs for our "water system" for a quick gulp. As we stood for a short break, she would give us little tidbits of history about the area or a tale of Indian lore about the trees and snow. The thought crossed my mind whether or not I had enough warm clothes or did I have too much? Fifteen minutes into my gait I was peeling off my outer ski jacket and taking off my gloves, then stuffing the coat into my small backpack. A couple of years ago Sara gave me an undershirt that is specially made to wick sweat away. I can attest to the fact that it certainly did. I never got chilled when we sat down for our lunch because I wasn't drenched close to the skin.
We were on a one way stretch that was one and a half miles into Dutchman Flats in the Mt. Bachelor area. At the end of that 1 and 1/2 miles we would all stop in a little area of small trees for lunch. Pam would then fill us in more on how to sit down without falling through a possible crust of 3 to 4 feet, how to get back up, etc, by rolling over on your hip and or using your knees. We learned trail etiquette as well and I had no idea that as a snowshoer, I was in the low caste system of adventurers; apparently you are the elite when you are a cross country skier and all rules seem to apply in their favor. Snow snobs. Who would have thought.
I thought for sure that I would be ravenous when we broke for lunch but as it was, I could only finish half of my peanut butter and jelly sandwich yet all of my applesauce cup. It was just enough energy for the return path. We all enjoyed our repast while we listened to a few more stories from Pam; years ago she had done mountain climbing and ice climbing in Alaska.
The weather was just perfect, a little overcast so not too much sun which would mean a lot of glare for the eyes and maybe some sunburn. I did wear a muff to keep my ears warm because it was a bit breezy out there at different intervals. When my ears get cold, my whole head hurts and I wasn't going to ruin this time for anything.
Did I prepare for this adventure by walking during the week? No, I did not. I will say that I was pleasantly surprised when after a day or so I wasn't feeling all the hurt and pain I thought I would. In fact, I felt MORE pain when I went alpine skiing for the first time at 16! I was completely laid out for three days afterward, every muscle in my youthful body screaming at every movement. I will say that for the next two days I did go to work and felt a little tenderness in the upper front thighs and then when I had a day off on the third day, I DID spend it in bed. All day. Still, not too bad for an old gal.
Will I go again? Oh yes...but I will get out a little more before attempting anything longer than the first outing. Today I strapped on my shoes and traipsed around the backyard, to the front and on down our very snow covered road. I think I did close to a mile, round trip. This way I don't wear out the much older body. And remember those bells and whistles I mentioned earlier on my ski poles? Well! One handle has inside it's plastic head the original GPS system: a compass! Um, won't do me much good until I learn how to read it, tho'. But lucky for me the other pole has a plastic head with 5 very bright LED lights that with a flick of a switch will either blink rapidly or just stay lit. Good for me who still needs to learn how to read the other one...

No comments:

Post a Comment