Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Shoeless and Clueless on The Highway

I have just returned from my last road trip for the 2010 year and I have this recurring question about; Highway Shoes. Hundreds of them. Where do they come from? What was the circumstance that left them sole side up in the middle of the fast lane? And have you ever noticed it's always just ONE? Was it left on the top of the car? Were the kids playing in the backseat and one threw a shoe out the window? There was one that was purposely stuck on some outcropping on a cement center divider wall, toes up. There is no way it could have landed like that. Somebody being funny or bored or a sibling payback when the family stopped at the side of the road for a potty break?
And then it was this trip that I thought about starting a Lost and Found Shoes of Route Whatever. You know, picking them up and posting them on a website, maybe along with all those lost hubcaps you see peeking through the roadside weeds. Yeah well I have better things to do than that, really. I'd never get to where I am going if I did that. It just makes me think about them because I have never lost a shoe on a trip. These aren't little tykes' shoes, they are adult sized shoes. And I bring this up because I thought I was the only one whoever thought about them. Until Sara mentioned it on this trip. So...if there is anyone out there who has ever lost just one shoe, call me. I might have seen it on that scenic route to Butte, a hundred miles from anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment